After disconnecting things at the IO bulkhead, the machine started looking a lot more manageable. Here's the Mighty-Mite power supply:
I worked my way around the bottom of the machine, cutting the wrapping in small increments to limit the spillage onto the floor and vacuuming out all the loose rust and dirt as I went. Some of it had worked its way between the layers of the plastic wrapping and had to be cleaned out from there as well. This is the bottom rear of the rack, where the Chaosnet transceiver was.
The CADR was considered to be in the worst shape of the three machines and likely beyond repair. As there are absolutely no spare parts and no chance at easily undoing any unintentional damage I might cause, tackling it was expected to be an epic saga that would take more time itself than the two Lambdas combined. My intention was to stabilize the CADR for storage and leave it alone, using the two Lambdas to build experience before slowly and carefully attempting the CADR with no expectation of success.
After cleaning the keyboard, it became necessary to clean the bunch of random cables that came with the Lambdas. Cleaning was done similarly to the keyboard, warm water and dish soap, followed by cold water rinse and hanging connectors-down to dry. Here are the clean(er) cables, hanging after rinsing:
I decided to start with something easy, and since I knew everyone would be asking for keyboard pictures that's where I decided to start. Here's the keyboard after it was unwrapped:
So far, I have written three lisp machine emulators, two of which actually survived to public release. I had also never seen an actual lisp machine in real life.
Until these arrived:
This is the birth of the Lisp Machinery blog, founded to serve as a resource for my Lisp Machine resurrection projects. My goal is to bring the Lisp Machine to the modern world, and allow those who've been hearing about them since the 80s to finally experience what all those people have been pining for since. To this end, I've been working on various emulation projects for more than ten years. Now I am in possession of actual physical examples of two types of lisp machine, which once restored will allow the remaining emulation issues to be sorted out, and from there further development.