While working on the SDU program, I've also been cleaning and preparing the CADR for a power-up attempt. There's no means of removing the processor from the CADR, so the first power up was going to be an all-or-northing sort of thing - No checking the backplanes absent of cards first, because there aren't any! I did remove everything except the bus interface from the IO busses though, which does me little good since there's only one CADR processor and if it's toast, it's toast.
It's just about time to finish cleaning up the CADR. The shop-vac was taking huge flakes of rust off the vent at the bottom of the rack, but eventually stuff stopped falling out.
It's still pretty rusty but at least there's less floating around.
The Mighty-Mite is the CADR's power supply. A similar supply was used in the KS10, but with a different configuration. This one outputs 10 amps of 12V and a whopping 162 amps (total) of 5V; 150 amps on one connection and 12 amps on another. Here's the business end:
After disconnecting things at the IO bulkhead, the machine started looking a lot more manageable. Here's the Mighty-Mite power supply:
I worked my way around the bottom of the machine, cutting the wrapping in small increments to limit the spillage onto the floor and vacuuming out all the loose rust and dirt as I went. Some of it had worked its way between the layers of the plastic wrapping and had to be cleaned out from there as well. This is the bottom rear of the rack, where the Chaosnet transceiver was.
The CADR was considered to be in the worst shape of the three machines and likely beyond repair. As there are absolutely no spare parts and no chance at easily undoing any unintentional damage I might cause, tackling it was expected to be an epic saga that would take more time itself than the two Lambdas combined. My intention was to stabilize the CADR for storage and leave it alone, using the two Lambdas to build experience before slowly and carefully attempting the CADR with no expectation of success.